Friday, November 4, 2011

Bad Taste in Boys - Carrie Harris

GoodReads Synopsis
Someone's been a very bad zombie.
Kate Grable is horrified to find out that the football coach has given the team steroids. Worse yet, the steriods are having an unexpected effect, turning hot gridiron hunks into mindless flesh-eating zombies. No one is safe--not her cute crush Aaron, not her dorky brother, Jonah . . . not even Kate! She's got to find an antidote--before her entire high school ends up eating each other. So Kate, her best girlfriend, Rocky, and Aaron stage a frantic battle to save their town . . . and stay hormonally human
.

 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


So I hate to admit, the cover of this book played a big part in my reading it. I mean, the frosted lips? It was eerie and creepy, and made me wonder what it meant. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it means; I have no idea what the cover had to do with the book. I read it, but don't get it. Not that that's so important I suppose. It just sort of bugged me.

This book...well, I didn't have great expectations for it. Zombies aren't really my thing so I wasn't really picturing anything too spectacular. In fact, after watching the book trailer, I had very low expectations. The video was SO corny it was hilarious. So instead of turning me off, it made me want to read it even more. Everyone needs a mindless read every once in a while, right? (ha, mindless...zombies...xD)

And that's exactly what this is: a mindless read. But that doesn't mean it was bad. I actually sort of liked Kate. She was smart, and mildly amusing. She was a tad naive at times, but when your school is full of zombies crying, "Braaaaiiiinnnnsss!" and are trying to chew off your leg, then you're allowed to be clueless and stupid. Aaron wasn't too bad of a guy either. I, however, LOVED Jonah. His little crush on Kate's friend Rocky was adorable, even if he was 15 years old and a total dork xP

I did laugh a couple times throughout the story, especially at the Twilight puns. There were two of them; those were my favorite parts honestly. The rest of the jokes were okay, sometimes I laughed just at how silly they were, not because they were actually funny.

I didn't want to give this book a harsh review, because it wasn't horible. It was enjoyable, even if pointless. I knew what it would be like going into it, so I wasn't surprised. It was actually a bit better than I thought.

Overall, I don't think I'll read another zombie book, at least, anytime soon. I feel like they'll all be like this one and while it was fun, I want something with a little substance...and a lot less puking...(gross!)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Danielle really sorry I didn't come to your blog more.

    I'll be trying to catch up on your blog.
    This book I wanted to read for the cover. Looks fascinating but thanks for the review. Wont have to. I don't like mindless reads:
    I like things intense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review, wish I would have seen it before I read the book a few months back -__-

    The cover was VERY deceiving. I felt like I was watching one of those bad, corny, disaster movies. Like you said, it wasn't horrible, but I still don't particularly like it/ Loved the trailer you posted for it. Lmao, it was sooo stupid xP

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...