Monday, August 6, 2012

Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy #1) by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White




Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.


I'm going to start off by saying this book was fantastic! Much better than I ever dreamed it would be, and I have been beating myself up wondering why I waited so long to read it.

The characters, Evie espeicially, were quirky, unique and lovable though I cannot understand her extreme obsession with the color pink :/ Evie's voice was funny, sassy, and endearing. Lend was absolutely one of the greatest boyfriends in the world. He was an incredibly original character (thank you Kiersten White for not making him a vampire or something cliche!). I was suspicious of Reth throughout the whole book, but my favorite character was Lish. I was so crushed at the end. I loved hher relationship with Evie; how Evie would rehash episodes of Easton Heights for her, and how Lish couldn't curse and when she tried too, all that would come out was "Bleep". It definitely made the story more entertaining whenever Evie picked up on Lish's habit.

This book was unlike any other YA novel I have come across yet. It had me hooked from page one with this quote:
I sighed. I hated vamp jobs. They think they're so suave. It's not enough for them to slaughter and eat you like a zombie would. No, they want it to be all sexy, too. And, trust me: vampires? Not. Sexy. I mean, sure, their glamours can be pretty hot, but the dry-as-bone corpse bodies shimmering underneath? Nothing attractive there. Not that anyone else can see them though.

What it was about this line that caught my attention is still a mystery to me. Perhaps it was the fact that I'm quite tired of vampires even though I do like them. Or maybe it was the little shimmering jab which automatically makes my brain think Twilight. But regardless, I was hooked by that first page and I never expected to be thrown on this wild ride of Evie's.

The plot was highly orginal, and throughout the book, the characters never lost appeal to me. Evie remained sassy and bad-ass, and Lend just adorably sweet (more so in the next book). I liked how series doesn't just revolve around one sole paranormal species. It's full of pretty much anything paranormal creature you've ever heard of, and even some you haven't.

Paranormalcy was a captivating first installment to a great series and I could not wait to read the second book once I finally finished. Since writing this review, I have fiished the second book so I will be putting up a review for that one soon as well. Now I' am dying for the third book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...