Monday, July 21, 2014

Wings (Black City #3) by Elizabeth Richards


Wings (Black City #3)

Hardcover400 pages
Published June 12th 2014

Rating:





Synopsis:
Following the cliffhanger ending of Phoenix, Natalie finds herself separated from Ash and unexpectedly reunited with her parents, including the father she thought was dead. But she can only think of Ash. She hasn't heard a word of him since she and Elijah were brought to the underground headquarters of the Sentry Rebellion. But she vows to find him.

Ash, meanwhile is back in Black City; it's the perfect place to hide from the Sentry government. But not for long. He won't give up on Natalie or bringing an end to the terrible reign of Purian Rose.

A pulse-racing end to an exciting series.

I do not feel as though I fully connected with Wings because I read the first two books (Black City & Phoenix) last year or so and considering the amount of books I have read in between those books and this one, and being cursed with a terrible memory, I do not believe I was able to fully appreciate this finale. This pains me since I was really looking forward to reading it. However, as I read, my memory did come back to me, in bits and pieces.

Purian Rose is still the head bad guy; there never seems to be an end to his plans to eliminate those he does not deem "pure". However, readers get bombarded with twists at every corner. Most of the twists were well placed and fueled my desire to keep reading. Part of the many twists is the introduction of quite a few new characters, and more information learned about previously mentioned but not really seen characters. 

The most important new character is Edmund. I will not go into much detail about him because that would be giving away  too much. When first introduced to Edmund, I thought he was going to be an unnecessary addition to the story; just filler. I was proved wrong though. 

There is LOTS of tense moments. Especially at the end. My God, I almost had a heart attack near the end. I was shocked at myself because I had not reacted in such a way to a book in quite some time. That is how you know the author is doing something right: when they are able to bring such strong emotions out in you. However, I could have lived without being scared to death haha.

Wings was a perfect final installment to the Black City trilogy. It answered, I believe, all my questions. The only reason it may not be getting a higher rating is because of what I said at the start of this review: my memory being a been cloudy and fuzzy when it came to the details of the first books. Also. there was one other thing that kind of irked me throughout reading this novel. The use of exclamation points!!! I felt as though there were a lot of places where exclamation points were used when they were not really necessary. Of course, this is just my opinion. But it really bothered me for who knows what reason. I felt like there where lines when the character was getting too excited over nothing.

Anyway, Black City is a pretty good series. I did not love it, but the books always held my attention and interest, which is what really matters in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...