Monday, November 5, 2012

Everneath (Everneath #1) by Brodi Ashton


Everneath by Brodi Ashton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she's returned--to her old life, her family, her boyfriend--before she's banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance--and the one person she loves more than anything. But there's just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's queen.

"Everneath" is a captivating story of love, loss, and immortality from debut author Brodi Ashton

“I didnt tell him I'd thought of him every day. That even when every other memory had faded, he never left." - Nikki 

I had first picked up this book from the library, but didn't get around to reading it until about a month later. I was super busy at the time, and my roommate wanted to read it so I let her borrow it. While she read it, my roommate kept telling me how great it was and how I was "just going to LOVE it!" So, by the time I finally got aroud to reading Everneath, I had higher expectations than I had orignally had. Now, did the book live up to my sky-high expectations? ABSOLUTELY!

I loved this book from start to finish. I am so glad I read it, and think Ashton did an amazing job with this book. It had an extremely addicting storyline and went by at a fast pace. This book is espcially great for all those out there who love a new, modern take on Greek mythology because it was basically a retelling of the tragic love story of Orpheus and Eurydice.

The timing and pacing of the events in the book were just right; not too fast, or snail paced. The reader gets to know and love Nikki more as the story unravels. Each character involved in Nikki's life has a deep connection with her; one that will affect her in a way that will move the reader. The story isn't just a love story; it also shows thse importance of family and friends.

The world building was also quite excellent. The Everneath sounded dark, and mysterious; a place no one would ever want to be trapped in. Ashton also did a great job with research in the original myth. Nikki Beckett was a strong heroine and definitely likeable. She wasn't one of those annoying, whinny protagonists you so often come across in YA novels. She was never selfish and always thought about others, especially here family and friends.

Now, let's talk about the perfectly wonderful Jack Caputo.
“Stay with me, Becks. Dream of me. I am ever yours.”

Before they became romantically involved, Nikki and Jack were firends. He was the kind of guy who knows he is attractive but doesn't really seem to care, or use it to act like a jerk. He had the perfect blend of good looks, personality, and charisma. He never gave up on Nikki, and always had the hope that she would come back and everything would be alright again. He was willing to risk everything for her when she finally came back. He was loyal, and wiling to fight for her because, he loved her; that's all there is to it.

The ending was good as well. It was SO SAD and HEARTBREAKING, but leaves us with so many questions and dying to get our greddy little hands on the next book. All in all, everyone should read this book. It was amazing, and has a bit of everything for everyone's individual tastes.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I loved this too Danielle and like you I was left with questions..I am so looking forward to book two. lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    The second book (Everbound) comes out January 22 next year. If you want to check out, here's a link it it's GoodReads page :)

    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13115995-everbound

    There is also a novella (Neverfall) coming out in late December

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...